Sunday, June 8, 2014

Some of the Places I've Lived Part 1




March and April 1949






April 1952 and April 1954



Mom, Dad and Me in 1956



Each place I’ve lived brings powerful memories to mind. Those places I lived in when I was a baby and young child I have the stories of my parents and photos my mom took to clue me in on some of what happened when we lived in those places.

By the time I was 3½ years old my parents and I had moved into our 6th residence at 614 W 25th Street. My dad went where he could find work. He worked for Geneva Steele in Prove, UT, Union Pacific Railroad in Ogden as a boilermaker, Ogden, UT, Southern Pacific Railroad also in Ogden, filled in for his nephew a few weeks, working in a mine (coal mining I believe) near Cokeville, WY, White Spot Café in Cokeville as a cook. Then back to Ogden where he worked at Holland Furnace Co., Swifts Packing Co., Naval Base, Brigham City, UT, and
back to UPRR, Ogden, UT.



 


 
Fortunately we lived in the 25th St. home from Nov. 1951 to May 1958. Time enough for me to acquire many fabulous friends and memories with family and friends.

In 1957 my dad had been laid off at the railroad twice. Our house went up for sale. At age ten I was leaving the home I had know for most of my life. We moved to SLC for 2 months then to Riverton, UT for 4 months. Dad worked for a lawn care company mowing lawns, SLC, then for Bauier’s Building and Construction doing construction work SLC, during these months. Some other people dad work for
were; JOC, A Wesley Hardy, Roy D. Lewark. Dad went to work at the UPRR, Ogden, UT, on the rip track in Sept. 1958 the was called to work at the UPRR Shops again as a boilermaker, he repaired steam engines then Diesel engines,  in Oct. 1958. We moved back to Ogden in Nov. 1958.









We moved to 2323 Monroe Blvd., Ogden. We were now on the east side of town. We had lived on the west side. This residence was a small house in the rear of the bigger house. I made new friends. Some of these friends were very nice. We lived here from Nov. 1958 to March 1960.

We then move a block and a half to 2227 Quincy. I lived here from just before my 12th birthday until I got married at age 25 in 1974. This house was renovated into a 3 apartment house. We had the main part of the home with a 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, living room, family room and kitchen. The other 1 bed room apartments were located at the back of the house and basement. Dad was the manager/care-taker of the entire home most of the years we lived there. He also worked at his boilermaker/machinist job until he retired in December of 1968. Thank goodness they stopped laying dad off those last 10 years he worked there. Next Dad worked as a school crossing guard from Feb 1969 until 1972.




Dad, Mom and Me Spring 1972

While living on Quincy Ave. I finished Jr. High School, went to and graduated from High School and Collage. I lived at other locations a few times but always returned home to Quincy Ave. I lived there until I got married in Feb. 1974. 
"Some of the places I've lived" to be cont. 

No comments: