Monday, December 30, 2013

2013 A Year in Review Part 2 Ups Cont. and Minor Downs

March 10th, May 27th, July 5th and Oct. 6 were very nice days spent with wonderful friends.







July 6th I had a marvelous time with two of my awesome friends and previous coworkers at Ravenwood Elementary School.





July 12th In the middle of planing for her wedding Audrey, my wonderful friend, took time to have lunch with me. We enjoyed visiting and catching up.

August 12th - 23rd We traveled in 5 states on this trip and relished the visits with family and friends. The scenery was breath-taking. Places we visited were  Rest Stops in Kansas, Colorado, Utah and Wyoming. We spent time in Pueblo, CO, Gunnison, CO, Saint George, West Valley, Morgan, North Salt Lake City, Salt Lake City, Park City, and Ogden all in UT. We also visited Limon, CO.

August 31st Audrey and David's wedding was fabulous. They are a lovely couple. The scenery was beautiful. Jess and I had a very good time.






Oct. 12th Jess an I attended The Kansas City Renaissance Festival with friends. We hadn't been a Ren. Fest. since 2005. We took in the dancing, comical and musical groups, jousting, the parade along with the lively crowds and other familiar sights and pleasing aromas at the festival.





Oct. 20th Our darling LaKai celebrated her 8th Birthday at Chuck e Cheese. Many members of her family came as well a group of her friends. She got to do a number of games, other activities and hung out with Chuck. 


Nov. 28th I love it when we can come together as a family and savor each others company while experiencing lots of love.



Dec. 10th, 14th and 25th I love decorating for the holidays, hearing lovely music and being with family. Jess's daughter invited us to the Christmas Cantata at Gano Chapel on William Jewel Campus, Liberty, MO where she and her husband performed. Jess and I loved it.
Downs:
 Some health concerns:
 May 20th, June 10th and Sept. 9 I went to see my Podiatrist Dr. R.. The first two times the doctor removed a large chunk of nail that decided to grow into the root bed of my toe. The third time the doctor put a chemical on the toenail to prevent it from growing into the root bed again. He said the nail had again grown into that bed but was not big enough to cause the procedure to be postponed. He just removed it carefully before putting the chemical on. My toe is all better now. The nail has been behaving itself. Whoo Hoo!

Sept. 18th I called my doctor's office to schedule a time to be seen that day. I explained my symptoms and the nurse advised me to go to the emergency room because none of the doctors could see me that day. I needed to be checked soon. I was having problems breathing, had experience some sharp pains in my neck, front and back plus I had dizziness. At the hospital they took me in right away and gave me an EKG, CT Scan, checked my blood and urine. I had x-rays then they gave me a breathing treatment. The conclusion was, when all the tests results came back normal, I must have been experiencing a respiratory infection that had been going around. I have felt fine since then and my breathing is back to normal. Whew!


Oct. sometime, I can't remember the exact day, I saw my Orthopedic Dr. C. I had been experiencing a lot of lower back pain on my right side, which had been going on for years off and on but seemed to be getting worse. At his office I had x-rays, a check up, answered important questions and was given shot in my back to ease the inflammation in my sacroiliac joint. That inflammation showed up in my x-rays. The shot never did ease my pain. It doesn't work on everyone. I preceded to take a lot of NSAIDS to help relieve the swelling and pain. I even put on the prescription Voltaren Gel that Dr. C prescribed. That gel did seem to help ease my pain from the inflammation of the sacroiliac joint. The NSAIDS (aspirin and ibuprofen) were not helpful in easing my pain after a time.

I HAVE RECENTLY LEARNED THAT NSAIDS can cause stomach and other problems. EPIDURAL STEROID INJECTIONS can interfere with the bodies natural way of lubricating the joints and have other negative side effects.
To find out more about the risks of 
NSAIDS go to http://www.medicinenet.com/nonsteroidal_antiinflammatory_drugs/page2.htm
Steroid Injections go to http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cortisone-shots/MY00268/DSECTION=risks
I have also cut back on my consumption of sugars. I found that taking NSAIDS and eating a sugar packed dessert magnified my pain. I have been NSAID free and had low sugar intake for over a week now and I have almost no pain. YIPPEE!! I also where shoes with good support. Moving around lots, walking etc. helps the body lubricate the joints too. When I can I go for walks. I try to keep physically active during the day.

I will end my 2013 Review here. All in all it has been a fabulous year, full of changes, travels, ups and downs. Here's to a wonderful 2014 for everyone.


No comments: