Sunday, May 11, 2008

Prairie Park Elementary 1999-2005!!











Prairie Park Elementary
2711 Kensington Road
Lawrence, Kansas 66046

Built in 1994, Prairie Park Elementary School replaced India and Kaw Valley schools. It sits on 15.4 acres of land on the southeast side of Lawrence near the nature preserve which includes several acres of natural prairie land. The school's name comes from the subdivision and park located around the school. It's mascot is the bobcat. The school colors are red and blue. Prairie Park school served 381 students in grades K-6 in 2004-2005.
My work with special needs children began in the fall of 1999. I was looking for part-time work to give financial assistance to my family. Jess, Heather, Kevin, Bryan and my self had moved to Lawrence from Topeka in August 1999. We moved to be closer to Jess's employment which was in Lenexa. As I was taking a walk one day I saw Prairie Park Elementary School and realized that I wanted to work in an elementary school. I called the school district and soon had 3 interviews set up. I chose to work at Prairie Park not only because it was within walking distance of our home but I felt most needed there. As it turned out the Para-educator job I accepted at Prairie Park was a full-time position working with Autistic students. Some of these students were in our self-contained classroom for longer periods during the day than others. Sometimes I was able to go with a student to his or her regular ed. classroom.
In the 6 plus years I worked at Prairie Park I learned a lot about autism through district training sessions, by listening and watching my supervisors and by interacting each day with these very special students. Each of these individuals had very amazing eyes. They each had unique strengths also. It is hard to imagine that some of the students I worked with are now out of high school. Time flies. I am grateful for the sweet memories I have of each special child I worked with at Prairie Park. I also loved working with Christine Golden and Leslie Trautman my lead teachers 1999-2000. I adored Carol Danner my supervisor from the fall of 2000 to the fall of 2005. She is still lead autism special ed. teacher at Prairie Park. I have fond memories of working with fellow staff members also.


Christine Goldman 2000-2001 and a picture of Christine and Leslie Trautman 1999-2000



Carol Danner 2002













Paras - 2000/2001 - Lelani, Bonnie, Me, Mary Ann, Ryan, Ameshia, Lori, Jody, & Angie.


I appreciated having Vicki Weseman as the principal. She had been principal from the schools opening in 1994 until the spring of 2001.















David Williams was principal from the fall of 2001 - present. I worked with him until November 16, 2005. He's a very nice man. I enjoyed working with him.
I loved helping in the regular ed. classrooms. I looked forward to interacting with so many of the students. It was a plus to live in the same neighborhood as the students. I got to see them often.I truly miss the atmosphere at Prairie Park and my dear friends that still work there and those who don't.

No comments: